Lost All Your Contacts on iPhone? Here’s How to Get Them Back
I sync my iPhone, MacBook and iMac over MobileMe. I like that a change in an appointment or contact on one device shows up on the other two. But MobileMe has a problem! Twice in the last week I have opened my iPhone to find that all my Contacts were gone. This calamity mysteriously happened on its own. (I did not make any setting changes to lose my contacts.) But here's how I got them back.
Note: This post detail the process for restoring contacts when running iPhone 3.0 software. If you are using iOS 4, follow this link to my July 2010 update.
1. On my iPhone I went to "Settings" and picked "Mail, Contacts, Calendar."
All the email accounts you have on your iPhone will be there as choices along with your MobileMe account.
2. Under accounts I selected my MobileMe account. You get a list of all the data that MobileMe is syncing.
3. I turned Contacts "Off." (It's the only sync I turned off.) You get this dialogue box asking you if you really want to do this. Be brave and agree to "Stop Syncing" your Contacts.
4. I waited a few seconds then I went back to the screen in Step 2 above and turned Contacts "On."
5. I gave the iPhone some time to sync. It probably helps to be on wifi.
6. When I reopened my Contacts on my iPhone, they had all returned. Note on this last step you might have to open and close Contacts a few times to get your iPhone to force a MobileMe sync.
I have no idea why this is happening. Looks like MobileMe has some work to do!